Wednesday 10 March 2010

More Follow-up Visits

February 9, 2010

Went for a post-op follow-up to the O.D., Dr. M. Seemed like a waste of time to me. She says 20/80 is my uncorrected distance vision. I knew the figures at the ophthalmologist's office had to be wrong. Dr. Labor's office is simply trying to be more generous. I'm allowed to strain and blink a lot in order to read a line.

February 10, 2010

Went for follow-up (1 mo. post-surgery) to Dr. L's office.

Jodie is the name of the tech who does the visual acuity tests. I told her I was not there to schedule my 2nd eye for surgery. She asked what, then, I was wanting to see the doctor about. I feel there is a distinct lack of communication. I was specifically told to come back in two weeks, so that is exactly what I did.

OK, so then Dr. L. comes in to look at my eye and again said that the astigmatism is likely the cause of the problem. I asked him if he did the LRI incisions in the O.R. and he confirmed that, yes, he did two of them. He said it is "not too uncommon" for my eye to be at this stage. He indicated that many times, there is quite a dramatic change at the 3-month mark after surgery. So, that means there might be a real change around mid-April. If not, and eliminating the presence of any confounding variables (like the macular pucker), he could do a further procedure with the laser, to try and correct the astigmatism. I didn't ask him outright, but I'm sure he means a LASIK procedure -- that is elective of course, and I can't see myself shelling out a few thousand more (which I don't really have) for a procedure that I will pay out-of-pocket for, when I've already sunk $3300 for one Crystalens for one eye (and one more to come). So there we have it.

I did tell Dr. L. that I wasn't quite ready for the right eye cataract surgery, because I wanted to make sure that everything was OK with the left eye first, and that I was going see Dr. R, on Feb. 19. Dr. L. seemed fine with that.

My article about epiretinal membrane surgery and vitrectomy is at:

Vitrectomy: What to Expect With Macular Pucker Surgery

My article about the vitrectomy and face-down positioning is at:

Hints for Enduring Face-Down Positioning After a Vitrectomy

No comments:

Post a Comment